How to make inexpensive and original-looking gift wrap from grocery bags, aluminum foil and other things commonly found around the house.
Silk Flower Wrap
Materials and Tools:
scrap fabric pieces
1. For a small gift, gather two to three squares of fabric large enough to bundle up the gift. Place the gift in the center of the squares, which have been stacked up on each other, and pull the first layer of fabric up and around the gift.
2. Pull up the second and third layers, and then tie with another piece of fabric. The top should be sprayed out informally.
3. Finish with a beautiful silk flower, which can be snipped from a stem with multiple blooms. Attach the flower with a glue gun.
Trash Bag Wrap
Materials and Tools:
1. Stuff one white trash bag inside another so you have a double layer. Gather the bags and create a jagged upper edge by cutting several times on an angle.
2. Place the gift in the center of three to four layers of silver tissue paper and pull the corners of the paper up into a bundle, covering the gift.
3. Insert the bundle into the two layers of white bags and gather all the edges into a closure at the top of the gift. The edges should be loose and fluffy.
4. Tie with a silver ribbon.
5. Attach small Christmas decorations with a winter theme (like icicles) to the front.
6. Dish towels and a cookie cutter become part of the gift when used as gift wrap.
Dish Towel Wrap
Use for a boxed gift — perfect for a housewarming. Use just as you would with wrapping paper, and then secure with double-sided tape. Wrap with a recycled ribbon that goes around the seams. Add an ornament or cookie cutter for a finishing touch.
- A brown lunch bag dressed with colorful tissue and raffia ribbon is a quick and inexpensive gift wrap.
- Use a receiving blanket and teething ring to wrap a baby shower gift.
- Cut out fabric in unusual shapes and spray glue them onto a wrapped package.
- Cellophane is great for bundling several small gifts into one large package.
- Freezer bags can be stuffed with colored tissue paper, filled with a gift and gathered at the neck.