Testing recipes from the cook book Curry Cuisine, fragrant dishes from India, Thailand, Vietnam & Indonesia.
The first test recipe-Mutter Pulao (Green pea pilau) a traditional North Indian Recipe. From the Lucknow & Awadh districts.
• 14 oz. Basmati Rice
• 1/3 cup ghee
• 1 tsp. cumin (geera) seeds
• ½ tsp. cloves
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 bay leaf
• 4 green cardamom pods
• 2 red onions sliced (yellow onions work well also)
• 4 oz frozen peas, thawed
• 1 tbsp salt
• 2 tsp shredded mint
• 2 tsp chopped cilantro leaves
• Wash rice, then soak in cold water for 20-25 mins.
• While the rice is soaking, chop the green herbs and slice onions.
• In a heavy bottomed pan with a cover, heat the ghee, add the whole spices, When they start to crackle, add the onions. Cook until the onions are brown, about 10 mins on medium heat. Add the peas, sauté for 2-3 mins. Pour 3 ½ cups water, add salt, cover and bring to a boil.
• Once there is a boil, add the drained rice to the pot, cook covered for 8-10 mins over moderately high heat. From time to time stir gently.
• When the water is nearly all absorbed sprinkle the herbs, stir
• Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot with foil tightly then put the lid on. Cook for another 10 mins.
*Add 1-2 cloves of chopped garlic when adding onions.
*Add dried chili’s.
Serve with cumin Raita